Simple Birthday Cake Recipe
Welcome to Cakes Corner! Here, we will be baking a cake with a simple frosting decoration as a birthday cake. Impress your friends or family members with this delicious homemade cake. Birthday cakes are such fun to create because they come in all types of flavors and colors. You can check out our chocolate cake recipe, red velvet cake recipe or even a banana or carrot cake to be your birthday cake of choice. Best thing about DIY cakes is that you get to control how sweet you want it to be by manipulating the sugar amount. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started
Below is a simple recipe that can be found in any cake enthusiast sites such as us. This homemade recipe is based on a butter cake decorated with sweet frostings all over as shown in the picture below. This cake can be made a day ahead and if you have done the frosting then it is best to be kept in the fridge because of Kuching’s climate.
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature (113g)
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (350g)
1 teaspoon baking powder (5g)
1 teaspoon fine salt (6g)
2 cups granulated sugar (400-500g to your taste)
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (15g)
1 cup milk (240g)
3 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles (for decoration purposes)
Pinch of fine salt
3 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature (340g)
Pinch of fine salt
3 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar (470g)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (15-18g)
¼ cup milk (100g)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Remember to grease the bottom and sides of two (2 pans) 9-inch round cake pans with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl preferably with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 5-minutes or until the batter turns into a light color and has a fluffy texture.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla until it is is all harmoniously combined
- With a spatula, do a alternante folding on the cake batter while gradually adding in the eggs and then the milk followed by the flour in few rounds until everything has been added into the cake batter. You will know the batter is done when it reaches a smooth texture.
- Now is time to add in the sprinkles and fold another 3 to 4 times. Just enough for the sprinkles to blend in but not enough to leak the colors too much into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans and it is ready to go into the oven!
- Bake the cakes in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You can check on its readiness by touching the center to see if it springs back up and also when the cake turns even golden. If there is uneven browning, feel free to to adjust the pans so it will be evenly browned.
- Once done, let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before letting it completely cool on a cooling rack.
It’s frosting time!
- You are almost done! While the cakes chill on the cooling rack, beat the butter and add the pinch of salt in a bowl preferably with an electric mixer on medium speed till a consistent smooth texture.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar. Then when everything has been added, increase the speed to medium-high and beat until it finally turns white and fluffy.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract followed by two tablespoons of milk and continue beating while adding the remaining milk one spoon at a time until finish.
- Voila! the frosting will then be spreadable and not runny.
- With the cooled down cake and frosting ready, put the first layer of cake on a cake plate or tray, use a cup of frosting to spread the top and put down the second put down the second layer.
- Frost the top and on all sides of the cake with frosting then decorate the cake with sprinkles and the cake is ready to be served!
For more enquiries, please feel free to contact us or call/whatsapp us at 011-1988 6263
To see the Birthday cakes we offer, click here or take a look at the other cakes we have.
To see the other recipes we have, click here.