Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 14 cupcakes
25g | 1 oz cocoa powder
100 ml | 7 tablespoon boiling water
50g | 2 oz | ¼ cup butter
100g | 3 ¼ oz caster (superfine) sugar
1 egg, beaten
85g | 3 ½ oz plain (all-purpose) flour
½ tablespoon bicarbonate (baking) soda
¼ tablespoon baking powder
For the topping
175g | 6 oz | ¾ cup unsalted butter
350g | 12 oz | 2 ¼ cups icing (confectioners’) sugar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
6 tablespoon hot water
Red, white and blue sugars stars
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and place 14 medium paper cases in a muffin tin
- Put the cocoa and boiling water into a small bowl and mix to a smooth paste, and allow it to cool. Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until soft and light, and then beat in the egg.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Stir un the cocoa paste and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter until soft. Sift in the icing sugar and stir well. Beat in the lemon juice and hot water until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe swirls on top of the cooled cakes. Scatter the sugar stars over the top.
For more inquiries, please feel free to contact us or call/whatsapp us at 011-1988 6263
To see the other recipes we have, click here.