Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
Makes: 12 cupcakes
140g | 5 oz | 1 ¼ cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ tablespoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
1 pinch salt
110ml | 4 oz | 7 tablespoon buttermilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
50g | 2oz | ¼ cup butter
175g | 6 oz | ¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
For the icing
300g | 10 ½ oz cream (soft) cheese
50g | 2 oz | ¼ cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
350g | 12 oz | 2 ½ cups icing (confectioners’) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and place 12 paper cases in a bun tin.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in the mixing bowl. In another bowl mix the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg a little at a time. Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by half the buttermilk mixture, then another third of the flour, the remaining buttermilk and finally the last of the flour mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and springy. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, whisk all the ingredients together, then cover and chill for 1 hour before using. Spread or pipe the frosting over the cakes.
For more inquiries, please feel free to contact us or call/whatsapp us at 011-1988 6263
To see the other recipes we have, click here.